Officer Revives Baby

By Sara Faruqi, Toronto Police Service Published: 8:03 a.m. September 18, 2014
Updated: 12:23 p.m. September 18, 2014

On Tuesday afternoon Hawa Bibi had just finished feeding her two young children and put them in a bathtub.

A man in uniform sits on a couch, on one side is a mother with a baby girl in her arms, on his other side, a father with his son in his lap.
Hawa Bibi with daughter, Fatima, Constable Jason Jones and father Faruque Ahmend with Fatima's brother, Faysal.

She filled a little water in the tub, when her older son, two-and-half-year old Faysal, started crying for his toothbrush. Her daughter, Fatima, who is 13 months old, was also in the tub with her brother.

Around the same time, Constable Jason Jones had just finished a vehicle stop and was in his police car, a few minutes north of where Bibi and her children live. At 4:07 p.m., he heard the call about a child in distress and possibly not breathing but, before the calltaker could get more information, the line got disconnected. There was a lot of confusion on what the situation was, but Jones reacted immediately and headed to the address. He was there in less than a minute and in touch with the dispatcher again, getting the right apartment number.

While Jones was on his way up to the apartment, Bibi was panicking. 

Normally she would have picked up little Fatima in her arms and then headed out of the bathroom, but the tub barely had any water in it. 

“I was in the living room for maybe two minutes, just about to head back to the bathroom,” says Bibi, when she heard her son call out to her. “He was saying ‘Mommy! Mommy!’” She ran into the bathroom to find Fatima floating face-up in the water.

The 41 Division officer ran into the apartment and saw a hysterical Bibi on the phone with 9-1-1, directing him to her daughter.

“I was in shock,” she says.

He found one-year-old Fatima lying on her side, motionless, with Bibi’s neighbour by her daughter’s side. It was now 4:09, about a minute-and-half since Jones had received the call. 

“I couldn’t… I couldn’t look at her,” said Bibi, tearing up at the thought of her daughter unable to take a breath.

Fatima was pale, she was not breathing and he could not find a pulse. “She looked almost ghostly,” recalls Jones.

A man in the background, facing camera but out of focus, plays a police hat on a boy in the foreground whose back is to the camera, but he is focus.
Constable Jason Jones, plays with Faysal, brother of Fatima, the baby he helped revive after nearly drowning.

His training kicked in. He placed Fatima stomach-down on his forearm, so that her face was in his palm, facing down. He then gave her a few back blows. “She immediately started vomiting water,” says Jones.

“She vomited seven or eight times. There was enough water to fill a few water bottles. It was like a running faucet,” he said. As her lungs emptied of water, Fatima started gasping and then breathing. "I could hear her gasping for air, her breathing came back and her pulse went up… I took a big sigh of relief."

The paramedics arrived around the same time and, in a few seconds, the toddler was crying.

“When I heard her crying, I knew everything was going to be okay,” says Jones, with a small smile.

Bibi calmed down when she heard her child cry. She went to the hospital in the ambulance and called her husband, Faruque Ahmed, to meet them there.
As she got out of the ambulance and, into the emergency department, she saw that Jones was waiting outside. 

“My husband hadn’t arrived, but I saw Officer Jones in the hospital and I felt relief, I felt like I was safe.”

“My husband hadn’t arrived, but I saw Officer Jones in the hospital and I felt relief, I felt like I was safe.”

A man in uniform facing the camera, smiling, with trees and a buildings in the background.
Police Constable Jason Jones outside the building where he saved the life of a toddler.

Jones stayed with the family till nine that night, then headed back to finish his shift till midnight.

Jones was “calm, cool and collected,” according to Staff Sergeant Grant Burningham at 41 Division. “He went immediately to his training.”
“How many people go through their careers and save a life?” adds Burningham. For Jones, it’s the second time he has saved a life as a first-responder – early in his career he also helped revive a heart-attack patient with his partner.

For Jones, though, it was a just a good day. 

“It was satisfying,” he says. “Don’t know how else to put it in words… I did what I had to do.”

“It was satisfying,” he says. “Don’t know how else to put it in words… I did what I had to do.”

TPS crest watermark