Arrests in Shooting of Boy

By Ron Fanfair, Toronto Police Service Published: 5:01 p.m. June 23, 2016
Updated: 9:10 p.m. June 27, 2016

Police have made two arrests in connection with a shooting earlier this month that injured a 10-year-old boy in his own home.

A man at a podium
Detective Darryl Linquist speaks to the media about the arrest of two men in connection with the shooting of a 10-year-old boy

On Friday, June 3, before midnight, two unidentified parties were dropped off in what police believed to be a two-door, 2007-2010, green Hyundai Accent. 

They went to the rear of the  70 Blake St. building, where they allegedly fired several shots into the unit, striking a 10-year-old boy in the shoulder while in his home before fleeing the Toronto Community Housing complex.

At a news conference at police headquarters on June 23, Chief Mark Saunders said the boy is recovering from his injuries. He also said multiple resources were put into play, immediately after the shooting, to help restore safety in the neighbourhood.

“As a result of this work, and through cooperation with the community, we have reached a conclusion and we have arrested several people for this offence,” he said. “This is just an indicator of what happens and how successful we can be when the community works with the Toronto Police Service in solving crimes to help keep their communities safe.”

Jeremy Morgan, 18, and Jaden Sauve, 20, both of Toronto, are facing several charges, including aggravated assault and possession of an unauthorized firearm. Sauve is also charged with failing to comply with probation.

Saunders said he attended the crime scene shortly after the shooting.

“I had a look at exactly what was going on, and was able to talk to investigators to find out what they needed, and also the direction of the investigation and where it was going,” he added. “Really, it is a matter of working with the community and making sure that police officers are in the right place at the right time and, with that, we get great results.”

Chief Saunders lauded investigators for their teamwork that included members of 55 Division, Intelligence and Forensic Identification Services.

Detective Darryl Linquist, of the  55 Division Major Crime Unit, said both suspects are known to police.

“As a result of our investigation, we were able to isolate two individuals who we believe to be responsible for the shooting and, as a result of that, we reached out to different partners within Toronto Police,” he said, of utilizing Intelligence, Gun and Gang Task Force, Drug Squad, TAVIS and Forensic Identification Services officers on the case. “This investigation reached a crescendo, yesterday, when we executed search warrants.”

Toronto Community Housing and the City of Toronto Community Crisis Response Program provided support to the victim's family and the surrounding community.

 Linquist said the boy's family was not the target of the shooting.

Subsequent to the investigation, a search warrant was executed that resulted in the arrest of 23-year-old John Fetterly-Brown and Destany White-Campbell, 18, of Toronto.

Fetterly-Brown was charged with possession of a weapon, possession of proceeds and property obtained by crime exceeding $5,000 and the unlawful possession of a prohibited substance.

White-Campbell is facing unlawful substance possession and possession of a substance for trafficking charges.

Linquist said the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5500, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at  222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.


TPS crest watermark