Wanted man captured in Quebec

By Ron Fanfair, Toronto Police Service Published: 2 p.m. March 2, 2017

A man wanted in connection with a shooting at a Toronto restaurant in the early hours of Saturday, February 25, has been arrested in Laval, Quebec.

Man with a clean shaven head, and a tattoo on his neck
Alexander Edward Collin Reid, 28

At about 5.30 a.m., two men were involved in argument in the restaurant’s vestibule. A physical confrontation ensued and one of them allegedly pulled a gun and discharged a firearm, striking a 31-year-old man.

The shooter continued to physically assault the man as he was retreating into the restaurant before fleeing the scene with his friends in a black Cadillac Escalade.

The injured man was taken to hospital and treated for his injuries

Alexander Edward Collin Reid, 28, of Ajax, was arrested by Laval Police on March 2, at around 7 a.m.

Detective Darren Worth, of 14 Division Major Crime Unit, said Reid was the front-seat passenger in a car with two other occupants, including a female, that was pulled over by police.

“The car had an Alberta licence plate and the police there probably ran it because it was out of province,” he said.

“From my understanding, they pulled over the vehicle and both the driver and Reid lied about their names. When the officer went back to his vehicle to check the names, the vehicle allegedly took off and there was a pursuit.”

Reid was captured after a foot chase that involved the canine unit and charged with assault with a weapon, pursuit and dangerous driving.

He will appear in a Quebec court tomorrow.

“We will contact the police there tomorrow to see if he gets bail,” said Worth.

“The second he’s released, we will be picking him up.”

“We are happy that he’s off the streets,” he added.

Reid faces several charges, including aggravated assault, pointing a firearm and discharging it with intent to wound, careless use of a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon and three counts of failing to comply with recognizance.

In December 2010, Reid and another man were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 17 years in the death of Mohamed Ibrahim, 24, on Aug. 30, 2008, in Edmonton.

That decision was overturned by the Alberta Court of Appeal in August 2013 and a new trial was ordered. In October 2014, Reid was acquitted.

TPS crest watermark