Police have confirmed that the remains of Majeed Kayhan have been located after a nine-day search of a ravine this month.
On July 13, Toronto Police, in partnership with other Greater Toronto Area (GTA) police services and the Centre of Forensic Sciences, completed a search in the ravine at the rear of the property at 53 Mallory Crescent.
Kayhan was 58 when he was reported missing in October 2012.
On January 29, 2018, Bruce McArthur was charged with First-Degree Murder in relation to Kayhan’s death.
At a news conference at police headquarters on July 20, Acting Inspector Hank Idsinga said it was important to find the remains.
“It is important for the families for closure and for the community,” he said. “It has been a terrible set of circumstances.”
McArthur was arrested on January 18 and has been charged with eight counts of First-Degree Murder.
“Although the examination and identification of remains continue, we do not have any evidence to suggest that Mr. McArthur is responsible for anything more than the eight murders for which he currently stands charged,” said Idsinga. “At this time, we have no evidence to suggest that there are any further remains to be located at any other locations.”
Over the last few months, members of Project Prism, Toronto Police Forensic Identification Services and Police Dog Services, along with the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service, have searched nearly 100 properties around the GTA for further remains.
“We are grateful to the property owners who have consented to these searches, as well as the media and citizens who have called in tips to help us identify these properties,” said Idsinga. “…We are looking at those tips that continue to come in and follow up on them. Right now, as a result of tips we have received, there are no further properties that we are looking to search and there are no indications of further victims.”
McArthur has also been charged with the deaths of Selim Essen, Andrew Kinsman, Soroush Mahmudi, Dean Lisowick, Skanda Navaratnam, Basir Faizi and Kumar Kanagaratnam, whose remains were previously identified.
Idsinga said the review of numerous cold cases and outstanding missing persons cases continues.
“There was a rash of murders from the 1970s and 80s that remain unsolved,” he noted. “We are making progress on those cases but, right now, we have nothing to suggest that Mr. McArthur is linked to any of them. As far as we know, the first murder took place in 2010. There are eight victims who have been identified and I hope it remains at eight victims.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the Homicide investigators at416-808-2021 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at 222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).