Chief: Wait For Facts of SIU Probe

By Ron Fanfair, Toronto Police Service Published: 6:01 p.m. May 29, 2020

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said the Service is fully co-operating with the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) into the death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet.

A man at a podium in TPS uniform
Chief Mark Saunders responds to media questions on SIU investigation at 100 High Park Ave.

The 29-year-old woman fell from a high-rise balcony after police were called to an apartment on May 27 at 100 High Park Ave.

“We all want the facts as much as everybody,” said Saunders, who expressed condolences to the family of the deceased on behalf of his organization. “The trust of the community and of the public is of paramount importance to the Toronto Police Service as well as myself as the Chief.

Saunders said police responded to three 9-1-1 calls for an incident at the address.

“The calls indicated that there was an assault and that weapons were present,” he said. “Assaults are Priority One calls and as such we dispatch in about 20 seconds and officers arrive in about four minutes.”
The Chief said knives were stated by at least two of the three people that called 9-1-1.

Saunders said this is a textbook case about why he has been advocating for body cameras and is now fast-tracking the process. He expects the first set of cameras to be rolled out by the third quarter of this year.
“All parties need a thorough investigation so we all have the answers to the truth,” said Saunders. “Again, I urge any witnesses to please contact the SIU and provide that evidence, which is critical.”

Chief Mark Saunders responds to media questions on SIU case at 100 High Park Ave.

He noted that all the officers involved are giving statements to SIU investigators.

“There is not one officer who is not anxious to say and give all the testimony they can regarding the circumstances that happened that evening and they are cooperating,” the Chief said. “These officers want the public to understand exactly what happened and the family to understand exactly what happened… We are hoping this investigation is expedited, the community is anxiously awaiting what the truth is as well as we are.”

The Chief also appealed for calm during the ongoing SIU investigation.

“I request that the public and the community wait for all of the facts regarding this case so that we can move forward, once we establish exactly what happened that evening,” added Saunders. “When we have them all, hopefully, collectively we can all deal with them.”

TPS crest watermark